Angela Jones, Senior Associate represents corporations in employment, premises disputes and public entities in tort, employment and labor law litigation. She has a breadth of experience emanating from the City of Riverside and then the Los Angeles Unified School District where she litigated employment and labor law matters concerning allegations of discrimination, failure to accommodate, and/or harassment/retaliation. She provides advice and counsel on a wide array of issues ranging from bargaining agreements, lay-offs, recruitment and healthcare, with an emphasis of administrative reasonable accommodations processes. She reviews requests for accommodation, attending and questioning at reasonable accommodation meetings, and providing guidance to disability management staff regarding crafting responses to applicants, assessing accommodation requests, meeting internal deadlines and assessing sufficiency of medical information provided in support of the requests. She advises on Equal Opportunity investigations including review and response to internal complaints and resulting investigation determination letters and receipt and review of DFEH complaints and EEOC charges.
AREAS OF PRACTICE:
- Public Sector Employment and Labor Law
- Public Employee Relations Board
- National Labor Relations Board
- Public and Private Sector Premises Liability
- General Employment and Labor Advice and Counsel
- Numerous successful demurrers on the issues of punitive damages, common law torts, failure to exhaust administrative remedies, pleaded facts unrelated to claims raised in DFEH complaint, workers’ compensation exclusive remedy, and failure to meet heightened pleading standard required in public entity litigation
- Successful writ following denial of Motion for Summary Judgment wherein trial court incorrectly applied Government Code provisions concerning dangerous condition of public property after which trial court reversed prior denial and entered judgment in favor of public-school defendant
- Multiple successful Motions for Summary Judgment on the issue of causation and governmental immunities applicable to public entities
- Successful early litigation resolution of disability discrimination matter with adverse liability facts wherein long-term public employee alleged school district failed to accommodate his disability where district failed to explore position within same classification or provide mobility options such as a cart
- Successful low five-figure resolution of pregnancy discrimination claim where probationary teacher terminated following notice of second pregnancy and where exercise of probationary termination was only second instance over the course of decades
- Favorable low six-figure resolution of premises liability matter involving public school district student alleging traumatic brain injury where demands ranged from $10 million to $2.5 million through early days of trial
- Favorable mid five-figure resolution of premises liability matter following jury impaneling involving public school district where medical specials exceeded $800,000
Angela enjoys traveling, camping, and exercising and spending time with her family and friends.