Leslie A. Blozan, Senior Associate, has been practicing law in business and insurance- related areas since 1979. Her focus is on litigation, primarily on behalf of business clients, insurance companies and their insureds. She also devotes a significant portion of her time to insurance coverage for carrier and business clients who need assistance in obtaining insurance benefits. Recently, she expanded her focus into financial elder abuse, working on behalf of the elders and their families. As a litigator, Ms. Blozan participated in numerous jury and bench trials. These trials have encompassed a wide range of disputes, from simple to catastrophic bodily injury; slumlord; landlord-tenant; cargo claims; insurance bad faith and business disputes; and financial elder abuse. She arbitrated and mediated hundreds of cases on behalf of clients, involving cases of only two parties, up to complex litigation involving dozens of party-litigants.
Areas of Practice:
- Commercial Litigation
- Insurance Defense (Products, Premises and Construction Accidents)
- Employment Litigation
- Elder law
- Defense judgment in favor of restaurant owner in premises liability suit involving a patron who suffered serious and permanent injuries after a trip and fall.
- Summary judgment obtained in Federal District Court on behalf of an insurance carrier against claimant asserting bad faith and fraud. • Successful resolution of complex-litigation, multi party construction defect dispute involving the Housing Authority in Oakland, California.
- Successful prosecution of numerous slumlord cases on behalf of tenants, in jury and bench trials, obtaining awards of punitive damages and attorney fees.
- Dismissal of suit obtained in premises liability, brain damage case, as to individually-named defendant, after filing summary judgment motion.
- Defended a concrete pumping company against serious bodily injury claim resulting from electrocution.
- Multiple defense verdicts in jury trials defending public transit agency against bodily injury claims.
- Successful negotiation of multiple, disputed fire loss claims including costs of repair, loss of use, loss of business income, contents and landscaping.
- Summary judgment on behalf of insurance carrier, general agent and claims adjuster on claims of breach of contract, bad faith, fraud, intentional infliction of emotional distress.
- Juris Doctorate, Loyola Law School
- Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, Cum Laude, Pepperdine University
Membership and Activities:
- State Bar of California
- United States District Court for the Central, East and Northern Districts of California
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals • San Fernando Valley Bar Association
- Speaker, CIWA, on Insurance Broker Agency Agreements, January, 2005
- Speaker Claims Procedure Council, on cargo claim disputes, February, 2008
- Speaker, in-house MCLE on legal ethics, 2009
- Speaker, in-house MCLE on insurance appraisal, and the right to independent counsel, 2012
- Medical-Legal Training on issues of bodily injury and medicine, ongoing
- Monthly contributor to SD’s At Issue
- Mock Trial coach, Crespi Carmelite High School, 2005-2009
Ms. Vozan, a Los Angeles native, lives in Los Angeles with her husband, and has a college-age son. She is a Tai Chi practitioner and former instructor, history buff and enjoys the occasional zombie movie.